Missa brevis, D-Dur, KV 194
The missa brevis in D major, KV 194 was Mozart’s first mass to be published in printed edition - by Johann Jakob Lotter in Augsburg in 1793. Mozart finished the composition on August 8, 1774 and it is very likely that his father Leopold conducted the mass in Salzburg the following year. The autograph, once in the possession of the renowned Mozart-expert Ludwig Ritter von Köchel, is nowadays part of the music collection at the Austrian National Library. This popular mass was written for a four-part choir, solo singers, two violins, cello, bass and organ. Its main characteristics are that there are no instrumental preludes and that it uses a very simple musical language with many sections written in minor keys. The missa brevis in D major was first performed at the Vienna Imperial Chapel in 1825, however with a larger orchestration including wind and drums. Nowadays the mass is commonly performed with the original orchestration.
Translation: Nora Tunkel
Organist: Wolfgang Kogert
Choir: Vienna Boys Choir, Vienna State Opera men's choir, Choralschola of the Imperial Court Chapel,
Orchestra: Members of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Ticket reservation at email@example.com
Online ticket sale through Culturall: