Messe C-Dur, D 452
Schubert composed the mass in C-major D 452 between June and July 1816 and dedicated it to his early musical educator at the parish of Lichtental (today 9th district), Michael Holzer. According to present day findings, the mass premiered at another Viennese church, St. Ulrich, on September 8, 1825. 40 years later, two renowned conductors of the Imperial Court Music Ensemble, Benedict Randhartinger and Johann Herbeck, intended to present the mass for the first time at the Imperial Chapel – especially since Schubert had been a member of ensemble’s boys’ choir – yet did not succeed, as the score did not arrive in time. Finally, the Imperial Court Music Ensemble performed it for the first time only in 1928, the year of the 100th anniversary of Schubert’s death. Originally the mass was orchestrated for 2 violins and organ; in later years Schubert added further parts for trumpets, kettledrum and 2 oboes or clarinets. One year before his death, he rewrote the original soprano solo in the Benedictus for a four-part chorus.
Translation: Nora Tunkel
Organist: Jeremy Joseph
Choir: Vienna Boys Choir, Vienna State Opera men's choir, Choralschola of the Imperial Court Chapel
Orchestra: Members of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Ticket reservation at email@example.com
Online ticket sale through Culturall: